Eagles Settle for Overtime Tie Against Little Britain Merchants

By Sam Laskaris

The Clarington Eagles are going to have to wait a bit longer to get themselves back into the win column.

The Eagles had an eight-game winning streak snapped on Thursday when they were edged 3-2 by the visiting North Kawartha Knights.

Though the Clarington squad did not manage to pull out a victory in its latest outing on Saturday, it didn’t lose either.

The Eagles settled for a 3-3 overtime tie against the host Little Britain Merchants in a Provincial Junior A Hockey League contest.

A seven-minute OT session, featuring 3-on-3 action, did not decide a winner after the clubs were deadlocked following 60 minutes of regulation action in the contest staged at Little Britain Arena.

Despite earning a point against the Merchants, who are considered one of the top teams in the circuit, Eagles’ coach Dean Baumhauer was not entirely happy.

That’s because his charges scored all three of their goals in the opening period. Clarington took a 3-1 lead into the first intermission.

“The effort tonight was pretty good,” Baumhauer said. “But we just don’t have a guy who says I’m going to score the fourth goal when we need it.”

After a scoreless second period, Little Britain netted a pair of third-period markers to send the match into OT.

The Eagles were forced to play the entire third period and the OT session without captain Mitch Doyle. The veteran blueliner was tossed from further proceedings following a head contact penalty and automatic game misconduct for his part in a skirmish at the conclusion of the middle period.

Clarington defenceman Nate Baumhauer (Dean’s son) said Doyle’s presence was missed in the latter stages of the contest.

“Obviously he’s a big piece of our back end,” the younger Baumhauer said of Doyle, adding his side dressed seven D and had six other reliable blueliners to pick up some of the minutes that were available due to the captain’s ejection.

Despite giving up a two-goal, third-period lead, Nate Baumhauer was content his side didn’t come away empty-handed from its road battle.

“It was two good teams going at it,” he said. “It’s still nice to go home with one point.”

Doyle, Jordan Shaw and Mitch Davies were the Clarington goal scorers.

Davies, who was coming off a two-game suspension, got the Eagles onto the gamesheet first by netting his fourth goal of the season in the fifth minute. Davies’ older brother Connor and Doyle earned assists on that marker.

“I was excited to get going and be back into the lineup,” Mitch Davies said of his strong start to the game.

Though the Eagles now have an 8-2-0-1 record, like Clarington’s bench boss, Mitch Davies also believes his side has struggled at times to score at key moments.

“Burying goals has been an issue for us this season,” he said. “It’s early still early in the year and we’re still shaking off the cobwebs.”

By earning just one point on Saturday instead of two, the Eagles also dropped down into second place in the standings of the league’s Orr Division.

With its 17 points, Clarington finds itself a point behind North Kawartha, which took over sole possession of first place on Saturday by downing the visiting Georgina Ice 7-1.

The Knights are occupying top spot in the division with their 9-2-0-0 mark.

The Eagles are now off until this Thursday, Nov. 11, when they host the Port Perry MoJacks. Game time at the Garnet B. Rickard Recreation Complex.

Clarington will then hit the road the next night, Nov. 12, to square off against Georgina. The opening faceoff for that match, which will be staged at the Georgina Ice Palace, is scheduled for 7:20 p.m.